What Background Checks Are Needed for the Healthcare Industry?
It's vital to ensure that you have the correct information when hiring any new employee within the healthcare industry. Background checks are necessary for the healthcare industry for a wide range of reasons, including patient safety.
You will need to check applicants' criminal backgrounds and other crucial areas of their records. It's essential to be aware that certain occupations within the healthcare sector require background checks, including:
- Doctors and managers of nursing departments
- Employees who will have access to financial records
How Far Back Will a Typical Background Check for Healthcare Workers Go?
The answer to this question depends on a couple of factors, including how you're looking for the records, as well as the type of records. Also, it will depend on the actions taken by the individual applicant. Certain criminal records are often expunged, but this is usually only the case for misdemeanor charges.
Many felony charges typically cannot be removed unless the case is reopened, resulting in an innocent verdict. Expungement is not possible if a felony charge is for a violent offense, a crime involving minors, or a sexual offense. However, nonviolent felonies can be expunged under some circumstances.
Expunged records will still show up on a private background check for one year on regulated private companies that offer background check services. This varies from one background check to another. In some cases, the records will be removed sooner.
While unregulated background check providers may keep records of past crimes for longer than a year, they're not considered to be reliable. In fact, it's commonplace for unregulated platforms to post inaccurate or misleading information about an individual, which means that business owners in the healthcare industry should not use them.
What About Other Types of Background Checks?
There are other types of background checks that you need to be aware of, including credit reports. However, the guidelines that determine how far back these records go are very different than criminal records. Here's what you need to know:
- Credit reports will typically provide information for a period of seven years. If you're looking for older data, there's a good chance that you won't find it.
- Motor vehicle records will show up, but this is usually only the case if you're looking for them. Therefore, you'll need to find a background check service provider that offers motor vehicle record checks if you're hiring a new medical driver(s).
- Finding malpractice records will often require that you choose a specialized background check service that looks for them.
Why Are Medical Background Checks Important for Healthcare Workers
Medical background checks are needed for healthcare workers for numerous reasons, and the specific reasons vary from one provider to another. However, the most important one is always patient safety for every provider. You need to ensure that your employees are trustworthy, honest, and always have a clean record.
What Do Medical Background Checks Include?
Medical background checks will include different components, depending on the provider you choose and the nature of an applicant’s records. However, there are a few things that you can expect a medical background check to include:
- Criminal records that are accessible to the background check provider.
- Information specifically relevant to the healthcare sector, such as malpractice lawsuits.
- Records from all 50 states from almost all reputable medical background check companies.
Check for medical background checks instantly.
Add a healthcare compliance check to any package for only $12.50 and get results back immediately.
What Can Disqualify You on a Medical Background Check?
If you're applying for a job in the healthcare sector, knowing what will appear on a medical background check is extremely important. Luckily, it's relatively easy to tell whether or not you have anything that could show up and disqualify you. Here are a few examples of things that could disqualify you from a job or educational program in the healthcare sector:
- A criminal record for any position that shows up on the background check
- Malpractice records
- A poor credit report for positions that involve the management of finances
- Failing a drug test
Why You Should Use eKnowID for Your Healthcare Background Check Needs
You can rest assured that eKnowID is a regulated and trustworthy provider of background check services. Not only that, but our services have gotten great reviews from many other business owners in the healthcare sector. Furthermore, we offer great prices on all of our services.
Also, if you choose us, we'll let you know if applicants' licenses have expired or did not provide accurate information. You'll know for sure if an applicant has had a medical license revoked in the past and why. So, get in touch with us today for more information on receiving a background check for a prospective employee!